Force North to "UP" on Google Earth?

Post here with questions/answers about map, GPS, blog or Offroading Home technical issues.

Re: Force North to "UP" on Google Earth?

Postby HoserRZR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:36 am

Thanks for the reply.

This whole thread is about the "I downloaded the UtahTrails.kmz from here http://offroadinghome.djmed.net/utah/utah.htm and loaded it up on Google " file all the annoyances I have found are in the UtahTrails.kmz file all the questions and comments are about just that file.

The need for the back button is the same as the need for the ability to search the left pane, open up the UtahTrails.kmz file in Google Earth, expand the files so you can see each trail, click around on the map on different trails, if trail "A" is right next to trail "Z" you jump the list from top to bottom, whilst your on trail "Z" you look on the list and see trail "X" so click on it to see where it is on the map the map jumps to trail "X" and zooms in now trail "A" is way far away from trail "X" you wan to go back to the area on the map where trail "A" is you have two choices zoom out (about 5 turns of the mouse wheel) then scroll around looking for it or you navigate up the LONG LIST of trails again about 5 turns of the mouse wheel OR you could just hit the "BACK" button if their was one OR you could just search for "A" if their was a "SEARCH"

I waste more time fighting the annoyances like this in google earth than I do actually being productive in google earth, cant count the times I got mad and closed the program and went onto something else.

A file with 5 trails or just 10 entries in the "My Places" not a problem no annoyance in a file like that now load up your UtahTrails.kmz file it gets complicated, then download ALL the files you have available for download and save them to "My places" then try to navigate through them then add all the files I have created to the "My Places"..

Picture this your at your kitchen table with 5 friends looking at the map you got from the BLM planning some trails, everybody is all round the trail looking at the map, your pointing to a trail discussing it then another friend says how about this trail and spins the map around throws his finger down pointing to a trail then another friend grabs the map and spins it around and points to a trail, then another grabs the map and spins it around then lifts the table 5' off the floor (he wants you to see it at a different angle) and points to a trail, wouldnt it be easier to maintain your mental orientation of where you are on the map if everybody stood on one side of the table and NOBODY was spinning the map?

If I cant make the map stop spinning I will just start deleting all the things I click on that make the map spin, not having the annoyance is more important than having the thing causing it, I was one of the first guys to install a popup blocker when the popup blockers first came out everybody said I would be missing all kinds of things by not looking at the popups, well the annoyance of popup windows is long GONE :-) have I missed things probably so but my blood pressure is much lower, my mouse hand is not numb from closing popup windows, web masters have stopped installing popup windows because everybody blocks them.

Thanks
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby dj » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Just like any Goodle Earth file you get from the web (and I see it all the time) any time a placemark doesn't have accurate coordinates (i.e. they haven't been filled in and thus are technically zero) the map does it's job correctly and flies to "zero" north and "zero" west - usually in the middle of the ocean. If you click on a "folder" Google Earth flies to a view where you can see all the placemarks contained in the folder. If one or more of the placemarks inside the folder has error coordinates then where you end up is anybodies guess, but it won't be correct. Most producers of Google Earth maps use a "code-template" without the coordinates or descriptions etc. filled in. Then it's a matter of pasting the placemark code-template in and manually entering in all the information for the specific landmark - Offroading Home is no exception, I use them as well.

Occasionally, a placemark slips through unintentionally and the coordinates are left blank - had you included any information about which of the hundreds of maps on the site you were talking about - I would have ALREADY fixed it by the time you read this! Broken links slip in on occasion - if you find one on an Offroading Home map tell me which placemark it is and in which map and I'll fix them. For maps found on any other site - it's hit and miss if you can find anyone who will take the bother to take care of it.

This is NOT the same issue that you started this thread with however - it has nothing to do with "forcing North to UP". If clicking on a placemark actually takes you to the correct location - even though you may not like the camera angle - then that is a deliberate choice by the producer of the map and you'll just have to deal with it. Maps on Offroading Home do camera and heading tilts a whole lot less than I find on maps on other sites - and I do them a lot less now than when I first started making maps - however, I've already explained the occasional rationale in which I do it.

About your question regarding getting back to where you were - it sounds like you haven't gone through the navigation instructions yet. Simply double-clicking on the last placemark or folder that you WERE in BEFORE you clicked the broken link - will take you right back to the map you were on without difficulty. (Perhaps it would be better if GE just didn't fly anywhere, except what IF the map REALLY did want 0, 0?) Google Earth has no "back" button, they expect you to use the waypoint navigation aids in the left side-panel. Tracking every free-form move you do with the mouse and every action you take in order that they could know where to "back up" to when you pressed the "back" button would be prohibitive and would slow the program needlessly - the waypoint navigation is much more streamlined and faster.
dj
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:32 am

Here is a perfect example go to "Areas" then double click on "North East Region" then double click on "Landmarks -water"

After the map gets done flying around you end up in a blue pixulated screen you zoom out by spinning the mouse wheel about 5 times and you find out your in the "Gulf of Guinea" no doubt there is a glitch some place but how do I get back to where I was before I wish it had a button like my web browsers "Back" button.
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 am

dj wrote:ALL placemarks which one puts into Google Earth have a "camera position" or "orientation" attached to them, or as Google calls it the "LookAt" - that orientation can be at any angle or tilt or range or location. Sometimes it makes sense for a programmer to code the waypoint to use standard map orienation like Offroading Home does by "default" on most all placemarks (i.e. North is up, zero tilt). HOWEVER, on occasion, for several types of reasons it makes sense to zoom in either closer or farther out in order to get the whole trail to fit on the screen so as to avoid scrolling. Or sometimes a change in orientation is needed to get the map to display favorably on the screen with all the other placemarks. In those cases Offroading Home reorients the trail to display in as complete a fashion as possiblem as close as possiblem so it can be seen as best as possible.

If you don't like the orientation, once you have zoomed in and seen the trail like I have taken the time to set it up - then, the simple method to put North at top is explained in the reference I gave you; namely: double-click the "N" on the navigation circle it will go there automatically. If you don't want to follow the set-up the folder takes you to - then don't click on the folder icon and either zoom there manually or click the "+" to open the folder and then choose one of the individual waypoints to click on which usually are coded to the default: north is up. If this is not understandable, or I have still missed your point, then I suggest an email.

So there is no way to by default avoid the map spin thing and just have it fly to the North is up?

This having the map suddenly start spinning when I double clock on something is MORE annoying than having some web page constantly sending you popup windows that force input from the user, the first thing that happens is I am exploring around a map then I am instantly disorientated because my map is no longer facing up, many times it makes me so mad I just close google earth, how can I edit the files to make ALL the entry's by default face North so the map NEVER spins I dont mind if it takes me hours to make the changes to the files it would be well worth it to me.

After reading this I played with the file again and just cant find any advantage to spinning the map and changing the angle of the view from what I had been looking at for up to an hour before clicking on the wrong link and the map go into a spin frenzy.

Also while were talking settings is there any way to adjust how much it zooms in when you double click on a link sometimes I am zoomed out trying to get a lay of the land so to speak then click on a link and poof I am zoomed in so tight I can no longer see the surrounding area I was trying to familiarize myself with and have to zoom out again only to find out the last link I clicked on was not even in the same area I was interested in, so the process starts all over again I click on another link on the list and it zooms the map in super tight then I have to zoom back out and figure out where I am after clicking on about 10 links I am so annoyed I just close google earth. I remember reading about adjusting the zoom setting some place in the past but I cant remember where I seen it I tried searching the web and the google earth help but am not having any luck I am probably not searching for the correct terms?

I wish Google earth had more options in the "Places" area so you could sort the names on the list by how close they are on the map rather than being in alphabetical order, maybe they will add this option in the future :-)

Thanks
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby dj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:08 pm

ALL placemarks which one puts into Google Earth have a "camera position" or "orientation" attached to them, or as Google calls it the "LookAt" - that orientation can be at any angle or tilt or range or location. Sometimes it makes sense for a programmer to code the waypoint to use standard map orienation like Offroading Home does by "default" on most all placemarks (i.e. North is up, zero tilt). HOWEVER, on occasion, for several types of reasons it makes sense to zoom in either closer or farther out in order to get the whole trail to fit on the screen so as to avoid scrolling. Or sometimes a change in orientation is needed to get the map to display favorably on the screen with all the other placemarks. In those cases Offroading Home reorients the trail to display in as complete a fashion as possiblem as close as possiblem so it can be seen as best as possible.

If you don't like the orientation, once you have zoomed in and seen the trail like I have taken the time to set it up - then, the simple method to put North at top is explained in the reference I gave you; namely: double-click the "N" on the navigation circle it will go there automatically. If you don't want to follow the set-up the folder takes you to - then don't click on the folder icon and either zoom there manually or click the "+" to open the folder and then choose one of the individual waypoints to click on which usually are coded to the default: north is up. If this is not understandable, or I have still missed your point, then I suggest an email.
dj
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:31 am

Please go back and reread my original post.

I have no problems getting around in Google Earth the problem is double clicking on a item in the left menu then when it flies to it on the map it turns the map upside down, I know how to get it back North I want to STOP IT from flipping the map, it does not happen on every item I click so I know their is a setting some place if their is not a setting I will just delete the file and move on in life I just dont have the time to fight some program as I use it.

I tried to find the solution by searching the manual it returned nothing.
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby dj » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Not sure what problem you are having, I have no problem getting the "welcome page" with the above link - then, since navigating is fairly basic to using Google Earth - it would make sense to look in the "getting started" section. "Getting around" admittedly is a pretty stupid and cavalier label but once you've determined that you aren't happy with "navigating sky" and nothing else seems to fit, I would click on it. If you do you will find nine topics about navigating in Google Earth.
dj
Site Admin

Re: Force To North?

Postby HoserRZR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:27 am

dj wrote:User guide is here - explains all, including resetting north to up, under naviation.

Can you be more detailed I have tried to use the Google Earth manual before with no luck I have no idea where to look and have no idea what to even search for that is why I asked here I thought maybe someone else had the same problem in the past.

For example you say "under navigation" where is the navigation section I only see "Navigating Sky" that talks about Mars.

I did a search for "resetting north to up" it takes me to the 'Navigating in Google Earth" then goes on about 3D, Google Earth tells me my video card dont support 3D no use in me reading anything that has to do with 3d.

Not to go on a rant or anything but the Google Earth manual is 100% totally useless to me maybe I have some sort of mental block going on but I dont understand the manual starting from page one, its like no other "manual" I have ever read, I have read hundreds and hundreds of manuals in my life, owners manuals for products I have bought, software and hardware, I have a service manual over 12" thick for my Chevy Tahoe, I have a stack of service manuals over 7' high in my shop for autos, ATV's and motorcycles, all I understand, I dont get a single page of the Google Earth manual, rant off lol.

Thanks
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Re: Force To North?

Postby dj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 am

User guide is here - explains all, including reseting north to up, under naviation.
dj
Site Admin

Force North to "UP" on Google Earth?

Postby HoserRZR » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:28 am

I am kind of new to Google Earth but is their a setting to force it to always put North facing up?

I downloaded the UtahTrails.kmz from here http://offroadinghome.djmed.net/utah/utah.htm and loaded it up on Google Earth then when I double click on for example "Coral Pink Dunes" when it zooms to the Coral Pink Dunes on the map the map first flips around to point facing almost South then when I zoom out to see whats towns and roads are close by I am completely disorientated and have to play with the map adjusting thing to get it pointing back North again to get my bearings, then I double click on "Bull Vly" it flops the map back to pointing South West.

The UtahTrails.kmz from here http://offroadinghome.djmed.net/utah/utah.htm is fantastic I strongly suggest anybody that has not viewed it yet to do so there is hundreds of really nice pictures others has uploaded to Google Earth to view along with all the trails DJ added.

Great stuff DJ keep up the good work.
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Return to How Do I?