Gold Butte Backcountry Byway

Discuss trails from OffroadingHome.blogspot.com

Re: Gold Butte Backcountry Byway

Postby dj » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

The information you have provided assumes you know how to get their and exactly where the place is thus the info is of no use to me.

KML files, which as you know is the only file type that Offroading Home supplies, is the file type which is used by Google Earth. If you don't have Google Earth or the facility to use it then the maps won't be of much use to you. Google earth clearly indicates the I-15, exit onto Riverside Road, the turn onto Gold Butte Road and the trailhead. Basiclly every one of the directions which you posted in enlarged type (which are correct, by the way).
Picture this I am in my motor home loaded up ready to drive, engine is running and I just shifted it into drive, my foot is on the brake because I am looking at a blank screen (I have no directions)

The Offroading Home maps were not designed to be used within Google Earth while driving nor have we ever given that impression. The waypoints, trailheads and even tracks can be dowloaded into almost any GPS unit. Those units which can be used in an "on-road" vehicle nearly always allow the manual input of GPS coordinates and WILL plot driving instructions for you, most with audible prompting. Again however, none of the Offroading Home maps were intended to be one button, plug into your motor-home, driving directions to the tracks and I can't understand why anyone would expect them to be.
Cant get any of the local roads and hwy's to show up in google earth guess they removed this feature in the last update?

All of the roads show up in Google Earth - the only possible thing I can think of is that there may be a setting in the "Layers" pane which you would have had to deliberately turn off at some point. I'm not sure because I have never had even close to the frustration that you claim to have had. I know that showing roads is turned on by default.
Is their a alternative to google earth even if I have to buy the program I have found google earth to be so full of annoyances and lack of commonsensical features...

Microsoft has a program which they have tried to get as accepted as much as Google Earth has been - I can't tell you more, because even with it's kml exporting faults it's nowhere near as good as GE and I don't use it. There are many GEO-mapping programs available, many of which cost in the thousands, especially for use in land surveying. Nearly all of them use proprietary output file types and "professional" mapping file types for input. They are not consumer oriented and I suspect that if you have physical complaints from using GE then you won't be able to use them either.

Beyond this -- I spend a lot more of my discretionary time than I probably should trying to make these maps as complete and helpful to people as I can, and do it for free. If I find a readily doable way of making them easier, more complete and/or useful to people I readily implement them. What I don't have time for is to duplicate the effort or functionality that Google Earth already makes available. Which includes making the maps so that they can be used in a motorhome. ALL of the trails I provide have a trailhead with a lot of descriptive information which isn't avaiable anywhere else. ALL of them EASILY display their GPS coordinates. THAT is the starting place for the trail. YOU should easily be able to figure out how to get there. And, frankly, this is more than you will get on any other site - which you are most welcome to see for yourself.
dj
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 am

Update I found direction on another web site

Take I 15 North out of vegas to the Riverside Road exit 112 AKA as 170
turn South and follow 170 for about 3.5 miles then turn Right onto
Gold Butte Road follow that about 21.2 miles Park on the right to the left is
Nays Ranch Road.
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Ok I have read this page again
http://offroadinghome.blogspot.com/2010 ... .html#more

I have the downloadable google earth file loaded.

The information you have provided assumes you know how to get their and exactly where the place is thus the info is of no use to me.

Picture this I am in my motor home loaded up ready to drive, engine is running and I just shifted it into drive, my foot is on the brake because I am looking at a blank screen (I have no directions)
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 pm

dj wrote:Doing even a cursory search on either the OffroadingHome blog OR web site will show you that the "Byway" is already shown, and your questions answered, on 30 or more maps and posts.

Regarding the file you linked to - the Whitney Pockets trailhead is clearly shown and exact coordinates can be obtained by right-clicking. The roads show up clearly on GE.

I am sorry but I guess I dont understand what exactly is it I am search for?

I see the trial what I dont see is the roads I would drive my RV on to get their.

I guess I will just delete google earth and start buying books since I cant see the roads and streets that surround the maps.
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby dj » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Doing even a cursory search on either the OffroadingHome blog OR web site will show you that the "Byway" is already shown, and your questions answered, on 30 or more maps and posts.

Regarding the file you linked to - the Whitney Pockets trailhead is clearly shown and exact coordinates can be obtained by right-clicking. The roads show up clearly on GE.
dj
Site Admin

Gold Butte Backcountry Byway

Postby HoserRZR » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:04 am

http://offroadinghome.blogspot.com/2010 ... .html#more

Looks like a interesting ride, the trail was 50+ miles long?

Someone have directions on how to drive my motor home and trailer to this place to unload and ride?

Can I camp in the parking lot?

Cant get any of the local roads and hwy's to show up in google earth guess they removed this feature in the last update? Is their a alternative to google earth even if I have to buy the program I have found google earth to be so full of annoyances and lack of commonsensical features its just not worth using any more fact is its been over a month since I last used google earth I needed a long break from it to get the bad taste out of my mouth with in 5 minutes of trying to figure out how I get to the trail head on the http://dl.dropbox.com/u/567495/snowbird11/Trail-1.kmz file my blood pressure was so high I had to close the program again.

Thanks
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Return to Trail Discussions