Maps To Go Offroad By

Recent Posts: Summary and Link - If you have comments, leave them on the blog page; if you have questions or problems, use an email.
Forum rules
Blog posts are listed here for informational purposes only - any comments or questions should be placed over in the blog.

Maps To Go Offroad By

Postby dj » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:11 pm

"Don't leave home without one" is a great idea – especially if you are talking about a map. I've even had a person tell me that he wasn't lost, he just wasn't on the map for a few hours.

Offroading Home has posted previously about the where's and why-fore's of mapping, in fact several times. You may remember that not too long ago, I completed an entire "101" series on the subject:

•GPS Maps 101: The number systems – Degrees, minutes, seconds, latitude and longitude.
•GPS Maps 102: Coordinate Systems – Conversions between systems and accuracy.
•GPS Maps 103: Measuring Lat and Lon – Calculating lat and lon, stars, chronometers, sextants and history.
•GPS Maps 104: Datums – Satellites, spheres and converting degrees to distance.
•GPS Maps 105: Projections and UTM – Mercator projection, UTM conventions, Northing and Easting.
•GPS Maps 106: Reading a TOPO Map – Understanding a TOPO map for use in the field.

Read the full post at: http://offroadinghome.blogspot.com/2010/12/maps-to-go-offroad-by.html
Any comments about these posts should be made over on the Offroading Home Blog.
dj
Site Admin

Return to Over On Offroading Home: The Blog