USGS Map Waypoints: Colorado

Recent Posts: Summary and Link - If you have comments, leave them on the blog page; if you have questions or problems, use an email.
Forum rules
Blog posts are listed here for informational purposes only - any comments or questions should be placed over in the blog.

Re: USGS Map Waypoints: Colorado

Postby HoserRZR » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:47 am

Had a little time before work this morning downloaded the file again now its the full file, loaded in Google Earth loads find you have to be careful what you click on I clicked on Northern Colorado and it brought my computer to its knees whilst it tried to load all the data 5 min later it had digested enough data I was able to uncheck the Northern Colorado box and bring a sigh of relief to my struggling computer (P4 3ghz 3 gig ram) when I get time I will load it up in my dual XEON 3 ghz and play with it, lots of data in this baby thanks DJ it looks great.
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I downloaded the file again Colorado USGS Features.kmz file size is 98k download was almost instant, this the right size?
HoserRZR
Site Admin

Postby dj » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:37 am

From your description, I would guess that your download was faulty. Before any of these files are released I test them on two machines (vista and Windows 7), two browsers (IE 8 and Firefox) and two versions of Google Earth (the last two recent) - I've retested the Colorado USGS file on two machines and it works fine.

What you should experience is a load into Google Earth without any errors, several folders and placemarks on the left, a border around the state, a folder with all the counties' borders which can be turned on and off individually, a folder for both northern and southern counties containing sub-folders for each of the counties then within each of them yet more sub-folders for each type of "feature" and within each of them several hundred placemarks for the features.

The file is massive so I recommend only turning on (clicking the check box) for one county at a time. When you do, several hundred waypoints should show up (the blue water feature icons show up the best). Little dots and water droplets appear which can be hovered over to show the names and clicked on to open up a description box with full information about its name, coordinates, type of feature, when it was initiated into the database and when it was last edited (if any).

If you aren't seeing this automatically, you probably should attempt another download - try shutting off any other competing program during the download. For troubleshooting - there are 4 or 5 other USGS state features files which you could try.
dj
Site Admin

Postby HoserRZR » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Help.

I loaded up the file in Google earth and checked all the boxes I dont see anything special am I doing something wrong?

I should see something purple at the very least? (cant make out what I am suppose to see in your thumbnails)

I zoomed in and panned around for a while not sure what I am looking for?

Thanks
HoserRZR
Site Admin

USGS Map Waypoints: Colorado

Postby dj » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Well, what was started over 5 months ago is finally done: the Colorado USGS Features file. I had a request from a reader to do the same thing for Colorado that I did for Utah, Nevada, Montana and elsewhere and did start it but just too many things got in the way. [For a free Google Earth file of this route see: Colorado USGS Features]

All that's over now and it's finally completed… all 64 counties of 'em! It does go a bit faster now that I'm used to the grind; but, it's still a fair amount of tedium which is why it probably gets relegated to the back burner so easily.

Read the full post at: http://offroadinghome.blogspot.com/2010/10/usgs-map-waypoints-colorado.html
dj
Site Admin

Return to Over On Offroading Home: The Blog